Happy New Year’s Eve! It’s time to start start setting goals and getting healthy, and I have a little something to help on this last Mediterranean Monday of 2018. The boys have been gone for the last week, which means emptying my produce drawer has been a little slow-going. I realized I had a ton of mushrooms left that desperately needed to be used up, along with about a third of a zucchini and a couple of shallots.
I needed something that would use up a good chunk of my mushrooms, so I opted for one of my favorite go-to lunch fixes–a wrap! They’re always quick and easy for mid-day, especially on weekend and post-workout when you’re busy, hungry, and don’t want to spend an hour planning, prepping and cooking your lunch. So yesterday, I created yet another yummy wrap with mushrooms at the center of attention.
Mushroom and Black Bean Wraps:
- 5-6 smaller-size mushrooms (I used a mixture of crimini and button)\
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/3 small zucchini
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole wheat 10-inch tortilla
- Dice your mushrooms and zucchini, and finely chop the shallot. Heat a tablespoon or so of oil over medium heat, then add mushroom, zucchini and shallot to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer.
- While this is cooking, open and rinse your black beans, then measure out what you need for the wrap. Return to the pan and add the minced garlic, cooking the mixture down for a few more minutes.
- Place tortilla into the microwave to heat for about 20 seconds. While that is warming, add the black beans and ground cumin to the pan, and do a taste test to see if it needs any additional salt and pepper.
- Heat this through for a couple of minutes, just long enough for the beans to get hot, then spoon the mixture onto the warmed tortilla. Top with some sliced avocado and salsa, and serve!
How’s that for an easy-peasy meatless lunch?! I also added a dash or two of red pepper flakes to mine because I like a little spice. It was good and filling, it allowed me to use up some produce before it went bad, and it was incredibly good for my body! And you know I had to have myself a glass of chardonnay while I was cooking. It was definitely a love-my-body kind of day!
I hope you all enjoy, and I wish you a fun and safe New Year’s Eve. See you back here in 2019!